Prepare For Your Appointment
Open dialogue with your doctor and healthcare team is important to understand your breast cancer diagnosis. It’s important to learn about your individual breast cancer because it has a direct impact on the treatment options your doctor will consider for you.
Download and Print Questions to Ask Your Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask your doctor:
- What stage is my cancer?
- Is my cancer invasive?
- Am I a candidate for Oncotype DX®, or other diagnostic tests?
- Has my cancer metastasized?
- What is my lymph node status?
- How large is my tumor?
- What grade is my tumor?
- What is my hormone receptor status?
- What is my HER2 status?
- How quickly is my cancer growing?
- How likely is my cancer to recur?
- Is there a way to determine the likelihood that I will benefit from chemotherapy?
- How can I get a copy of my pathology report and testing information?
Obtain a copy of your pathology report from your doctor to help you stay informed about your breast cancer and treatment options. If you have a smartphone, you can also download the My Cancer Coach App (available on iPhone® or Android®), which features a list of questions you will want to ask your doctor right in the app. Remember, never hesitate to seek a second opinion — in fact, most doctors will encourage patients to do so.
It is important to remember that breast cancer is more than one disease and that there are various genetic differences even within each tumor. You can also get a list of questions tailored to your individual diagnosis through the My Breast Cancer Coach questionnaire.